A fabulous winter warming meal for the New Year using local venison and our delicious Prune & Porter Ale Chutney.
1.5kg haunch venison off the bone
250g back bacon
1 jar (195g) of Peachey’s Preserves Prune & Porter Ale Chutney
1 large glass of red wine
- Heat a small amount of sunflower oil in a roasting tray until slightly smoking.
- Dust venison joint in flour and seal on all sides. Remove from tray.
- Roughly chop leeks, carrots and put with whole shallots in tray and fry for a few minutes, stirring frequently so they don’t stick. Remove from tray.
- Clean roasting tray and place venison in the middle. Scatter the fried vegetables around joint.
- Pour red wine over the meat.
- Smear the chutney over the top of the joint and then wrap the bacon rashers over the top and tuck underneath to secure.
- Cover the tray with foil and leave to marinade for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190oc, roast joint for 2 hours, occasionally basting the joint.
- Reduce oven temperature to 170oc and roast for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes
- Cut meat into thick slices and spoon over some of the gravy from the tray.
- Serve with mashed swede and broccoli.